A sudden and unfortunate car accident can leave you shocked, injured, and overwhelmed. Such mishaps are not rare in Los Angeles, but the good news is California is a tort state, which means you can claim compensation from the at-fault party for their negligence. The first step to recovering a settlement is to file a third-party claim with the at-fault party’s insurer. If the negotiation fails or the insurance company denies your claim, you can file a lawsuit, for which there is a deadline of two years. The question here is whether you should consider hiring a car accident attorney in Los Angeles. We have enlisted some key details below.
Things an accident attorney can do for you
- Before anything else, your lawyer will evaluate if you have a valid claim and whether the case is worth pursuing. Just because you were injured doesn’t always mean you can claim compensation.
- Once the lawyer agrees to take the case, they will initiate an investigation, for which they will talk to various experts, including accident reconstruction specialists, as needed. Their role is to determine how the accident happened.
- The accident attorney will then proceed to find fault and liability, which could be challenging if the mishap involved a truck or many vehicles. The whole process is to find who is responsible for your losses.
- The lawyer will then put a dollar value on your car accident claim. You could recover economic losses, including the cost of current and future medical care, lost wages, and other expenses like property damage. In some cases, clients may also recover non-economic damages.
- Following this, the accident attorney will draft a letter addressed to the insurance company to begin the negotiation process. Getting a settlement can take weeks, months, or even a year or more, based on the facts. Your lawyer will ensure that you don’t fall prey to insurance tactics.
- If the insurance company offers a low settlement or denies your claim, the lawyer will then prep for a trial, provided it seems like a viable option. Your lawyer is in charge of gathering evidence, finding witnesses, and submitting details that will bolster your case.
As you may have guessed, there are many steps in getting a settlement for your car accident claim, and without the right accident attorney on your side, the whole process can feel confusing. Get an attorney today to get a free case review.
Is There A Need To Contact Truck Accident Lawyers After Your Accident?
What to Look for in an Injury Lawyer?
Why you need a Personal Injury Lawyer